- 1 New way to edit wikitext
- 2 विकिपीडिया पर शॉर्टकट के स्थापना खातिर प्रस्ताव
- 3 Invitation for Office Hours with WMF's Global Reach team
- 4 Train-the-Trainer 2017: Invitation to participate
- 5 MediaWiki Training 2017: Invitation to participate
- 6 Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- 7 विकिपीडिया के डिफॉल्ट अंक सिस्टम में बदलाव
- 8 Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- 9 We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)
- 10 प्रूवइट (ProveIt) गैजेट के इंटरफेस के अनुवाद
- 11 Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections
- 12 Read-only mode for 20 to 30 minutes on 19 April and 3 May
- 13 Wikidata description editing in the Wikipedia Android app
- 14 New Page previews feature
- 15 WikiProject Turkey 2017
- 16 New Wikipedia Library Accounts Available Now (May 2017)
- 17 Voting has begun in 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections
- 18 Beta Feature Two Column Edit Conflict View
- 19 Editing News #1—2017
- 20 RevisionSlider
- 21 Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)
- 22 New notification when a page is connected to Wikidata
- 23 Prototype for editing Wikidata infoboxes on Wikipedia
- 24 m:Requests for comment/Global centralnotice for the blockade of the Turkish government
- 25 मुख्य पन्ना के नया रूपरंग खातिर प्रस्ताव - 21 मई 2017
- 26 Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections
- 27 Wikidata changes now also appear in enhanced recent changes
- 28 CIS-A2K Technical Wishes 2017 Announcement
- 29 Accessible editing buttons
- 30 Page Previews (Hovercards) update
- 31 CIS-A2K Newsletter June 2017
- 32 CIS-A2K Newsletter July 2017
- 33 Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in India
- 34 Wikidata Workshops in India in September 2017
- 35 Featured Wikimedian [September 2017]
- 36 RfC regarding "Interlinking of accounts involved with paid editing to decrease impersonation"
- 37 Discussion on synced reading lists
- 38 Bhubaneswar Heritage Edit-a-thon 2017
- 39 CIS-A2K Newsletter August September 2017
- 40 Featured Wikimedian [November 2017]
- 41 New print to pdf feature for mobile web readers
- 42 Featured Wikimedian [December 2017]
- 43 Train-the-Trainer 2018
- 44 CIS-A2K Newsletter October 2017
- 45 भोजपुरी विकिपीडिया पर कई गो जरूरी चीज नइखे लउकत
- 46 Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program: Needs Assessment Survey
- 47 Call for Wikimania 2018 Scholarships
- 48 User group for Military Historians
New way to edit wikitext[संपादन]
James Forrester (Product Manager, Editing department, Wikimedia Foundation) --19:31, 14 दिसंबर 2016 (UTC)
विकिपीडिया पर शॉर्टकट के स्थापना खातिर प्रस्ताव[संपादन]
Invitation for Office Hours with WMF's Global Reach team[संपादन]
On behalf of Wikimedia Foundation’s Global Reach Team, we would like to invite all the South Asian Wikimedia communities to our office hours to discuss our work in the region.
Date: Thursday, 19th January 2017
Time: 16:00 UTC/21:30 IST
Duration: 1 hour
Google Hangout Location:
If you are not able to join the hangout, you can watch the live stream with a few seconds lag at
- Introduction of Global Reach Team and office hours
- Research around New Readers and our partnership themes
- Feedback for next office hours
We plan to hold these office hours at regular intervals. FYI, office hours for South East Asia and Central Asia/Eastern Europe will be held separately; given the size of communities, we needed to break down the regions.
Please feel free to add your questions, comments, and expectations in the Etherpad document shared above. You can also reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com for any clarification. Please help us translate and share this invitation in community social media channels to spread the word.
Ravishankar Ayyakkannu, Manager, Strategic Partnerships, Asia, Wikimedia Foundation --16:23, 17 जनवरी 2017 (UTC)
- We thank everyone for participating in the Office hours with WMF's Global Reach team. Meeting notes can be found here. You can also watch the YouTube recording here.
- --Ravishankar Ayyakkannu, Manager, Strategic Partnerships, Asia, Wikimedia Foundation. 10:10, 1 फरवरी 2017 (UTC)
Train-the-Trainer 2017: Invitation to participate[संपादन]
- Sorry for writing in English, please translate this message to your language, if possible
- Sorry for writing in English, please translate this message to your language, if possible
It gives us great pleasure to inform that the Train-the-Trainer (TTT) 2017 programme organised by CIS-A2K is going to be held from 20-22 February 2017.
What is TTT?
Train the Trainer or TTT is a residential training program. The program attempts to groom leadership skills among the Indian Wikimedia community members. Earlier TTT have been conducted in 2013, 2015 and 2016.
Who should join?
- Any active Wikimedian contributing to any Indic language Wikimedia project is eligible to apply.
- An editor must have 500+ edits.
- Anyone who have already participated in an earlier iteration of TTT, can not apply.
Please see more about this program and apply to participate or encourage the deserving candidates from your community to do so: CIS-A2K/Events/Train the Trainer Program/2017
MediaWiki Training 2017: Invitation to participate[संपादन]
We are glad to inform that MediaWiki Training or MWT 2017 is going to be conducted between 24-26 February 2017 at Bangalore.
MWT is a residential training workshop that attempts to groom technical leadership skills among the Indian Wikimedia community members. We invite active Indian Wikimedia community members to participate in this workshop.
Please find details about this event here.
Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[संपादन]
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.
This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.
The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:
- Update 1 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (15 December 2016)
- Introduction to process and information about budget spending resolution to support it
- Update 2 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (23 December 2016)
- Start of search for Lead Architect for movement strategy process
- Update 3 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (8 January 2017)
- Plans for strategy sessions at upcoming Wikimedia Conference 2017
- Update 4 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (11 January 2017)
- Introduction of williamsworks
- Update 5 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 February 2017)
- The core movement strategy team, team tracks being developed, introduction of the Community Process Steering Committee, discussions at WikiIndaba conference 2017 and the Wikimedia movement affiliates executive directors gathering in Switzerland
- Update 6 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (10 February 2017)
- Tracks A & B process prototypes and providing feedback, updates on development of all four Tracks
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
विकिपीडिया के डिफॉल्ट अंक सिस्टम में बदलाव[संपादन]
Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[संपादन]
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:
- Update 7 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (16 February 2017)
- Development of documentation for Tracks A & B
- Update 8 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (24 February 2017)
- Introduction of Track Leads for all four audience tracks
- Update 9 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 March 2017)
- Seeking feedback on documents being used to help facilitate upcoming community discussions
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)[संपादन]
05:09, 18 मार्च 2017 (UTC)
Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.
The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.
The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).
We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.
Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.
The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.
The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.
- April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
- April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
- April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
- May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
- May 15–19 – Board vote checking
- May 20 – Board result announcement goal
In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:
- Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
- There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
- Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
- One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-elections
Read-only mode for 20 to 30 minutes on 19 April and 3 May[संपादन]
Wikidata description editing in the Wikipedia Android app[संपादन]
Wikidata description editing is a new experiment being rolled out on the Wikipedia app for Android. While this primarily impacts Wikidata, the changes are also addressing a concern about the mobile versions of Wikipedia, so that mobile users will be able to edit directly the descriptions shown under the title of the page and in the search results.
We began by rolling out this feature several weeks ago to a pilot group of Wikipedias (Russian, Hebrew, and Catalan), and have seen very positive results including numerous quality contributions in the form of new and updated descriptions, and a low rate of vandalism.
We are now ready for the next phase of rolling out this feature, which is to enable it in a few days for all Wikipedias except the top ten by usage within the app (i.e. except English, German, Italian, French, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Portuguese, Turkish, and Chinese). We will enable the feature for those languages instead at some point in the future, as we closely monitor user engagement with our expanded set of pilot communities. As always, if have any concerns, please reach out to us on wiki at the talk page for this project or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
-DBrant (WMF) 08:41, 14 अप्रैल 2017 (UTC)
New Page previews feature[संपादन]
WikiProject Turkey 2017[संपादन]
In an unfortunate turn of events, Wikipedia is currently blocked in Turkey, as can be seen from en: 2017 block of Wikipedia in Turkey
In order to express solidarity with the Turkish Wikipedia editors and readers, it is proposed that Indian Wikipedians write articles related to Turkey in their respective languages. Our message is clear — we are not motivated by any politics; we just want the Wikipedia to be unblocked in Turkey.
Participating members can create new articles on Turkish language, culture, political structure, religion, sports, etc. But the essential condition is that the articles should be related to Turkey.
Note: The normal Wikipedia rules also apply to all new articles. Wikipedia admins can facilitate other member contributions by creating project pages where users can list their newly written articles. --Hindustanilanguage (बात करीं) 19:08, 30 अप्रैल 2017 (UTC)
New Wikipedia Library Accounts Available Now (May 2017)[संपादन]
The Wikipedia Library is announcing signups today for free, full-access, accounts to published research as part of our Publisher Donation Program. You can sign up for new accounts and research materials from:
- American Psychiatric Association – Psychiatry books and journals
- Bloomsbury – Who's Who, Drama Online, Berg Fashion Library, and Whitaker's
- Gaudeamus – Finnish humanities and social sciences
- Ympäristö-lehti – The Finnish Environment Institute's Ympäristö-lehti magazine
Do better research and help expand the use of high quality references across Wikipedia projects: sign up today!
--The Wikipedia Library Team 18:52, 2 मई 2017 (UTC)
19:15, 3 मई 2017 (UTC)
Beta Feature Two Column Edit Conflict View[संपादन]
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:29, 8 मई 2017 (UTC)
Editing News #1—2017[संपादन]
18:05, 12 मई 2017 (UTC)
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:39, 16 मई 2017 (UTC)
21:09, 16 मई 2017 (UTC)
New notification when a page is connected to Wikidata[संपादन]
(Please help translate to your language)
The Wikidata development team is about to deploy a new feature on all Wikipedias. It is a new type of notification (via Echo, the notification system you see at the top right of your wiki when you are logged in), that will inform the creator of a page, when this page is connected to a Wikidata item.
You may know that Wikidata provides a centralized system for all the interwikilinks. When a new page is created, it should be connected to the corresponding Wikidata item, by modifying this Wikidata item. With this new notification, editors creating pages will be informed when another editor connects this page to Wikidata.
This feature will be deployed on May 30th on all the Wikipedias, excepting English, French and German. This feature will be disable by default for existing editors, and enabled by default for new editors.
This is the first step of the deployments, the Wikipedias and other Wikimedia projects will follow in the next months.
If you have any question, suggestion, please let me know by pinging me. You can also follow and leave a comment on the Phabricator ticket.
Thanks go to Matěj Suchánek who developed this feature!
Prototype for editing Wikidata infoboxes on Wikipedia[संपादन]
I’m sorry for writing in English. It’d be great if someone could translate this message if necessary.
One of the most requested features for Wikidata is to enable editing of Wikidata’s data directly from Wikipedia, so the editors can continue their workflow without switching websites.
The Wikidata development team has been working on a tool to achieve this goal: fill and edit the Wikipedia infoboxes with information from Wikidata, directly on Wikipedia, via the Visual Editor.
We already asked for feedback in 2015, and collected some interesting ideas which we shared with you in this thesis. Now we would like to present to you our first prototype and collect your feedback, in order to improve and continue the development of this feature.
We present this work to you very early, so we can include your feedback before and all along the development. You are the core users of this feature, so we want to make sure that it fits your needs and editing processes.
You will find the prototype, description of the features, and a demo video, on this page. Feel free to add any comment or feedback on the talk page. The page is currently not translated in every languages, but you can add your contribution by helping to translate it.
Unfortunately, I won’t be able to follow all the discussions on Wikipedia, so if you want to be sure that your feedback is read, please add it on the Wikidata page, in your favorite language. Thanks for your understanding.
Thanks, Lea Lacroix (WMDE)
Hi, you are invited to participate in the discussion on the proposal to make a banner through m: centralnotice to inform more people around the world about what the Turkish government has done about Wikipedia, ie all the language versions of Wikipedia are You are obscured, so in Turkey it is impossible to view the * .wikipedia.org site. To hope that the Turkish government will remove the block, it is necessary to raise awareness of this fact around the world because it is important to succeed in this mission because Wikipedia can not be seen in Turkey. With this message also for those interested, I invite him to sign the Wikimedian appeal.
मुख्य पन्ना के नया रूपरंग खातिर प्रस्ताव - 21 मई 2017[संपादन]
|धियान देईं, मुख्य पन्ना की बारे में एगो नया चर्चा शुरू भइल बा। कृपया आपन राय देवे खातिर वार्तालाप:मुख्य पन्ना पर जाईं।|
21:05, 23 मई 2017 (UTC)
Wikidata changes now also appear in enhanced recent changes[संपादन]
Hello, and sorry to write this message in English. You can help translating it.
Starting from today, you will be able to display Wikidata changes in both modes of the recent changes and the watchlist.
Thank you! Lea Lacroix (WMDE) 08:33, 29 जून 2017 (UTC)
(wrong target page? you can fix it here)
CIS-A2K Technical Wishes 2017 Announcement[संपादन]
- Sorry for posting this message in English, please feel free to translate the message
Greetings from CIS-A2K!
CIS-A2K is happy to announce the Technical Wishes Project beginning July 2017. We now welcome requests from Indic language communities on our Technical Request page. This project, inspired by WMDE, is an effort to document and hopefully resolve the technical issues that have long plagued Indian Wikimedians. For more details, please check our Technical Requests page. Please feel free to ask questions or contact us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Regards. --MediaWiki message delivery (बात करीं) 18:05, 1 जुलाई 2017 (UTC)
Page Previews (Hovercards) update[संपादन]
CIS-A2K Newsletter June 2017[संपादन]
CIS-A2K has published their newsletter for the months of June 2017. The edition includes details about these topics:
- Wikidata Workshop: South India
- Tallapaka Pada Sahityam is now on Wikisource
- Thematic Edit-a-thon at Yashawantrao Chavan Institute of Science, Satara
- Asian Athletics Championships 2017 Edit-a-thon
If you want to subscribe/unsubscribe this newsletter, click here. --MediaWiki message delivery (बात करीं) 04:01, 5 अगस्त 2017 (UTC)
CIS-A2K Newsletter July 2017[संपादन]
CIS-A2K has published their newsletter for the months of July 2017. The edition includes details about these topics:
- Telugu Wikisource Workshop
- Marathi Wikipedia Workshop in Sangli, Maharashtra
- Tallapaka Pada Sahityam is now on Wikisource
- Wikipedia Workshop on Template Creation and Modification Conducted in Bengaluru
Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in India[संपादन]
Greetings from Wikimedia India! Wiki Loves Monuments in India is an upcoming photo competition, part of the bigger Wiki Loves Monuments 2017. We welcome you all to be part of it, as participants and as volunteers. The aim of the contest is to ask the general public—readers and users of Wikipedia, photographers, hobbyists, etc.—to take pictures of cultural heritage monuments and upload them to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and its sister projects. This in turn would lead to creation of new articles along with development of new articles in Indian languages.
Wikidata Workshops in India in September 2017[संपादन]
- Apologies for writing the message in English. Please feel free to translate the message to your language.
We are glad to inform you that Asaf Bartov will visit India in the month of September, and will be conducting local workshops on Wikidata and other recent technologies and tools. You might be aware that Asaf is a promoter and trainer of Wikidata, and before and during this year's Wikimania, Indic Wikimedians from two communities requested Asaf to visit India to conduct more Wikidata workshops.
The workshop would include extensive Wikidata training, from absolute beginner level through querying and embedding Wikidata in Wikipedia (incl. infoboxes), as well as a general tools demonstration, including Quarry. Additionally, time would be made for general Q&A ("ask me anything") to let people use the opportunity to directly ask a WMF representative anything that they have on their mind.
Asaf would come to India on 29 August. Please see the detailed plan here. Please contact here or write to Asaf if you have any question. Regards. -- Titodutta, sent using MediaWiki message delivery (बात करीं) 13:37, 25 अगस्त 2017 (UTC)
Featured Wikimedian [September 2017][संपादन]
Swapnil Karambelkar is one of the most active Wikimedians from the Hindi community. Swapnil hails from Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, and by profession a Mechanical Engineering, who runs his own firm based on factory automation and education. Swapnil joined Wikipedia in August 2016, through "Wiki Loves Monuments". He initially started off with uploading images to Commons and then moved onto Hindi Wikipedia, contributing to culture and military topics. He also contributes to Hindi Wikibooks and Wikiversity. Soon after, he got extensively involved in various outreach activities. He co-organized "Hindi Wiki Conference" in January 2017, at Bhopal. He delivered various lectures on Wikimedia movement in various institutions like Atal Bihari Hindi University, Sanskrit Sansthanam and NIT Bhopal. Along with Suyash Dwivedi, Swapnil co-organized the first ever regular GLAM project in India at National Museum of Natural Heritage, Bhopal. Swapnil is an account creator on Hindi Wikipedia and is an admin on the beta version on Wikiversity. Swapnil has been instrumental in establishing the first Indic language version of Wikiversity, the Hindi Wikiversity. As asked regarding his motivation to contribute to the Wikimedia movement, Swapnil says, "It is the realization that though there is abundance of knowledge around us, but it is yet untapped and not documented".
There is currently a RfC open on Meta regarding "requiring those involved with paid editing on Wikipedia to link on their user page to all other active accounts through which they advertise paid Wikipedia editing business."
Note this is to apply to Wikipedia and not necessarily other sister projects, this is only to apply to websites where people are specifically advertising that they will edit Wikipedia for pay and not any other personal, professional, or social media accounts a person may have.
Discussion on synced reading lists[संपादन]
Bhubaneswar Heritage Edit-a-thon 2017[संपादन]
The Odia Wikimedia Community and CIS-A2K are happy to announce the "Bhubaneswar Heritage Edit-a-thon" between 12 October and 10 November 2017
This Bhubaneswar Heritage Edit-a-thon aims to create, expand, and improve articles related to monuments in the Indian city of Bhubaneswar.
Please see the event page here.
We invite you to participate in this edit-a-thon, please add your name to this list here.
You can find more details about the edit-a-thon and the list of articles to be improved here: here.
CIS-A2K Newsletter August September 2017[संपादन]
CIS-A2K has published their newsletter for the months of August and September 2017. Please find below details of our August and September newsletters:
August was a busy month with events across our Marathi and Kannada Focus Language Areas.
- Workshop on Wikimedia Projects at Ismailsaheb Mulla Law College, Satara
- Marathi Wikipedia Edit-a-thon at Dalit Mahila Vikas Mandal
- Marathi Wikipedia Workshop at MGM Trust's College of Journalism and Mass Communication, Aurangabad
- Orientation Program at Kannada University, Hampi
Please read our Meta newsletter here.
September consisted of Marathi language workshop as well as an online policy discussion on Telugu Wikipedia.
- Marathi Wikipedia Workshop at Solapur University
- Discussion on Creation of Social Media Guidelines & Strategy for Telugu Wikimedia
Featured Wikimedian [November 2017][संपादन]
On behalf of Wikimedia India, I hereby announce the Featured Wikimedian for November 2017.
is one of the top contributors from the Tamil Wikimedia community. Though he started contributing since 2009, he was quite active after his participation in WikiConference India 2011. Initially he started contributing to Tamil Wikipedia, but was later attracted towards Tamil Wikisource, Tamil Wikitionary, and Wikidata. His global contributions count to whooping 2,50,000 edits. He is an admin on Tamil Wikitionary.
After his interaction with Mr. Loganathan (), Balaji was very much motivated to contribute to Wikimedia projects. He says, "When I was editing in Tamil Wikipedia, I used to translate science articles from English to Tamil. But faced problem in finding equivalent Tamil words. The English to Tamil dictionaries were inadequate. Hence I felt the need to work in the Tamil Wikitionary. After a while there was a collaboration with Tamil Wikisource and Tamil Nadu Government through Tamil Virtual University through 2000 CC0 books were uploaded".
As an active contributor to Wikidata, he says that the vision of Wikimedia movement is, "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge", but with Wikidata we can make it, "Imagine a world in which every single human being and every single machine can freely share in the sum of all knowledge". Apart from regular contributions, he also created templates to Tamil Wikimedia projects, and also maintains.
Balaji hails from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, and is a post-graduate is Physics. He currently works as a Senior Geophysicist in Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC).
Any editor can propose a fellow to be a Featured Wikimedia at: http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Featured_Wikimedian/Nominations
New print to pdf feature for mobile web readers[संपादन]
Featured Wikimedian [December 2017][संपादन]
is one of the most active contributors from the Bengali community. Though he started editing English and Bengali Wikipedia in 2007, he had to take a long break due to professional constraints. Later he started working on Bengali Wikisource from 2012, and ever since, he has been an active contributor, and expanded to English Wikisource as well. With more than 45,000 global edits, he is an admin on English Wikisource.
As a child, Hrishikes always found reading books as a fascinating task. He says that he finds reference books as interesting as mystery novels. That interest, over years motivated him to contribute to Wikisource. The journey and motivation behind his contributions to Wikisource can be read from a post on WMF's blog, Why I contribute to Wikisource?. He says that till date he's been only active online, but he plans to do outreach in the coming future. He hopes that attending the 10th Anniversary Celebratory Workshop of Bengali Wikisource in Kolkata on 10 December may be a harbinger to his future offline activities.
Hrishikes believes that Wikisource will one day emerge as of the top digital libraries in the world, and says that as a store-house for primary and secondary source materials for Wikipedia, the importance of Wikisource is steadily becoming invaluable. Much of his time, Hrishikes spends working around Indian works, with a special focus on the works of Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Jagadish Chandra Bose, and Rabindranath Tagore. Apart from being a proofreader, he uploaded more than 750 books spreading over five languages to Wikimedia Commons.
Hrishikes hails from Kolkata, but is presently based in Lucknow. By profession, he is a doctor serving in paramilitary forces. To his Bengali friends, he welcomes them to contribute to Bengali Wikisource which has more than 676,000 that have completed Optical Character Recognition and are waiting to be proofread.
Nomination can be made at: http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Featured_Wikimedian/Nominations
Apologies for writing in English, please consider translating the message
We are delighted to inform that the Train-the-Trainer (TTT) 2018 programme organised by CIS-A2K will be held from 26-28 January 2018, in Mysore, Karnataka, India.
What is TTT? Train the Trainer or TTT is a residential training program. The program attempts to groom leadership skills among the Indian Wikimedia community (including English) members. Earlier TTT have been conducted in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Who should join?
- An editor who is interested to conduct real-life and online Wiki-events such as outreach, workshop, GLAM, edit-a-thon, photowalk etc.
- Any active Wikimedian contributing to any Indic language Wikimedia project is eligible to apply.
- The editor must have 500+ global edits before 1 November 2017
- Anyone who has already participated in an earlier iteration of TTT, can not apply.
Please learn more about this program and apply to participate or encourage the deserving candidates from your community to do so. -- Titodutta using MediaWiki message delivery (बात करीं) 17:03, 1 दिसंबर 2017 (UTC)
CIS-A2K Newsletter October 2017[संपादन]
CIS-A2K has published their newsletter for the months of October 2017. The edition includes details about these topics:
- Marathi Wikipedia - Vishwakosh Workshop for Science writers in IUCAA, Pune
- Bhubaneswar Heritage Edit-a-thon
- Odia Wikisource anniversary
- CIS-A2K signs MoU with Telangana Government
- Indian Women Bureaucrats: Wikipedia Edit-a-thon
- Interview with Asaf Bartov
भोजपुरी विकिपीडिया पर कई गो जरूरी चीज नइखे लउकत[संपादन]
एह चौपाल पर जे केहू संगी साथी घूमत घामत आवते होखे, ओ सभे के नमस्कार बा। देखला में त इहवा सदस्य लोगन के संख्या ठीके ठाक बा बाकी कौनो काम क चर्चा इहवा लउकत नइखे। लागत बा सदस्य संपादक लोग इहवा बहुत कम आवेंले। बाकी User:SM7 जी त अकेलही इहवां झंडा गाड़ि देले बाड़न। हमनी के आभारी होखे के चाही SM7 जी के। अपना भासा के लेके हमनी चिंता फिकिर त बहुत करींला जा बाकी कौनो ठोस कदम बहुत कमे लउकेला। इहवा सवाल केकरा से पूछल जाव बुझाते नइखे। एही से User:SM7 जी से ही पूछल चाहत बाड़ी:
- इहवा रखरखाव आ लेखवन के जांचे वाला लोग काहे नइखन लउकत.
- एह जगह अधिकार वाला पन्नो नइखे.
- ट्विंकल आ अउरी दोसर औजारन क भी कौनो अता पता नइखे.
- नमस्कार कलमकार जी, राउर स्वागत बा। राउर सवालन के जबाब नीचे लिखत बानी:
- सदस्य संख्या आ संपादन संख्या कम होखे के वजह से इहाँ लेखवन के जाँच आ रखरखाव करे के ब्यवस्था कुछ अलग किसिम के बा, इहाँ हर एक संपादन के जाँच ना होला बलुक खाली नया पन्ना बनावे पर ओकर जाँच जरूरी बूझल जाला। एही से इहाँ हिंदी विकिपीडिया नियर कई सारा सदस्य अधिकार मौजूद नइखे। इहाँ ओह तरीका से पुनरीक्षण (रिव्यू) के जरूरत भी ना बा, काहें कि अतना संपादने ना होला। एही से पुनरीक्षक के अधिकार इहाँ स्थापित नइखे (एही से स्वतः परीक्षित सदस्य नियर अधिकार भी जरूरी नइखे)।
- अधिकार वाला पन्ना विकिपीडिया:विशेषाधिकार निवेदन पर बा जहाँ प्रबंधक, प्रबंधक लोग के मदद खाती रोलबैकर आ बॉट खाती अनुरोध कइल जा सके ला।
- गैजेट के जहाँ ले बात बा, सगरी जरूरी गैजेट इहाँ मौजूद बा। ट्विंकल के इहाँ ख़ास जरूरत ना पड़े ला, ई स्थापित बा, गैजेट के लिस्ट में सभसे नीचे Beta खंड में आपके मिल जाई। हो सके ला एकर कुछ फंक्शन काम न करे बाकी एकरा मदद से टैग आ रिवर्ट करे के काम कइल जा सके ला। बाकी चीज खाती नीति के जरूरत बा जे सदस्य लोग के कम संख्या के कारन अभी लटकल बाटे।
रउरा के कौनों गैजेट चाहत होखे, भा कवनों दूसर मदद चाहत होखे त बतावल जाय।
सभसे जरूरी बा इहाँ लेख सभ के बिस्तार कइल। एह काम में राउर स्वागत बा। वि:जरूरी लेख पर लिस्ट देख के आप सभसे जरूरी बिसय सभ पर बनल पन्ना सभ के बिस्तार कऽ सकत बानी आ एह लिस्ट में जवन लेख मौजूद ना बा ओकरा के बना सकत बानी। --SM7--बातचीत-- 10:03, 6 दिसंबर 2017 (UTC)
Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program: Needs Assessment Survey[संपादन]
- Please translate this message if possible
We are extremely delighted to inform that the Wikimedia Foundation and CIS-A2K have come together in a partnership with Google to launch a pilot project Supporting Indian Language Wikipedias Program to address local online knowledge content gaps in India. In order to engage and support active Wikipedia volunteers to produce valuable new content in local Indian languages, we are conducting a needs assessment survey. The aim of this survey is to understand the needs of the Indic Wikimedia community and ascertaining their infrastructure requirements that we can fulfill during the course of this project.
Please help us by participating in the survey here.
Your opinion will help to make the program better. Kindly share this survey across your communities, user groups and network of fellow Indic Wikimedians. -- m:User:Titodutta, sent using MediaWiki message delivery (बात करीं) 08:51, 8 दिसंबर 2017 (UTC)
Call for Wikimania 2018 Scholarships[संपादन]
We wanted to inform you that scholarship applications for Wikimania 2018 which is being held in Cape Town, South Africa on July 18–22, 2018 are now being accepted. Applications are open until Monday, 22 January 2018 23:59 UTC.
Applicants will be able to apply for a partial or full scholarship. A full scholarship will cover the cost of an individual's round-trip travel, shared accommodation, and conference registration fees as arranged by the Wikimedia Foundation. A partial scholarship will cover conference registration fees and shared accommodation. Applicants will be rated using a pre-determined selection process and selection criteria established by the Scholarship Committee and the Wikimedia Foundation, who will determine which applications are successful. To learn more about Wikimania 2018 scholarships, please visit: wm2018:Scholarships.
To apply for a scholarship, fill out the multi-language application form on: https://scholarships.wikimedia.org/apply
It is highly recommended that applicants review all the material on the Scholarships page and the associated FAQ before submitting an application. If you have any questions, please contact: wikimania-scholarships at wikimedia.org or leave a message at: wm2018:Talk:Scholarships. Please help us spread the word and translate pages!
User group for Military Historians[संपादन]
"Military history" is one of the most important subjects when speak of sum of all human knowledge. To support contributors interested in the area over various language Wikipedias, we intend to form a user group. It also provides a platform to share the best practices between military historians, and various military related projects on Wikipedias. An initial discussion was has been done between the coordinators and members of WikiProject Military History on English Wikipedia. Now this discussion has been taken to Meta-Wiki. Contributors intrested in the area of military history are requested to share their feedback and give suggestions at Talk:Discussion to incubate a user group for Wikipedia Military Historians.